The Proposal

The Proposal

As we sat on this pebbled beach,
thousands of tiny white bubbles danced to the shore.
With our socks discarded on the stones,
we dipped our toes in the warm crevices left behind.

Gently I brushed away the strands of gold from her eyes
as they danced on the summer wind.
I remember she looked at me and without saying a word,
told me she loved me with her smile.


“Do you think we’ll always be together?” she asked
as her eyes awaited mine in response.
My fingers nervously fumbled through my pocket
as I turned to her and replied…

I'll never forget how nervous I was
“I hope so. I’d hate to have to return this”.
As I opened the small velvet covered box,
her eyes lit up and she jumped into my arms.

I’ll never forget the excitement in her smile
as she pressed her lips against mine.
Even the incredible beauty of the sunset behind her,
couldn’t come close to that of hers.

With a great sense of relief I said
“I guess I can take that as a yes?”
She smiled and her eyes danced with life
as she kissed me again and again.

“Yes!” she replied.
I could feel my heart pounding through my chest
as we fell to the soft blanket of sand.
For the first time in my life, I felt… complete.

By Brian K. Walters

No comments: